In my quest for recipes to use up the vast quantity of Carrots about to be harvested from my vegie garden, I found this candidate;
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Stalks Celery
- 8 cups of Water or Vegetable Stock
- 1.3 Kg Carrots, about 6 large ones, grated
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Curry Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel Seed, ground with a mortar pestle
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Red Chilies, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 Lemon
Heat the oil in a large stock pot.
Sauté the onion and garlic over medium-high heat until soft, taking care not to scorch the garlic.
Roughly chop the celery stalks into thirds and add to the onions along with the grated carrots.
Pour over the water, bring to boil.
Add the curry powder, ground fennel, chilies, salt and pepper.
Simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
Purée using a immersion or traditional blender, in batches until smooth.
Stir in the lemon juice and readjust salt and pepper, if necessary.
Top with chopped cilantro. (If you like it.)